Monday, January 11, 2010

Christmas!

This is going to be a very long post, but I need to get caught up! I will follow with pictures later.

Christmas was wonderful! I finished the semester with the highest GPA in my college career (although I only managed a B for my dance team. Really? I'm waiting to hear back from my coach about that) and I am so glad! Although school ended, I didn't slow down a bit. The day that finals ended (Thursday) I hosted a closing social for my dance team at my dad's house which was...interesting (to say the least).

On Saturday Scottie and took time to purchase/wrap gifts for our families and decorated a gingerbread house! In the evening we met up with his cousin Jeff to see the lights at Temple Square. They were beautiful as always, and I loved every minute of it! After we got home Scott discovered that our tv/vcr combo will work with the nintendo 64 (we got rid of our tv a few days before) and he was ecstatic. Since I wanted to bake lots of treats we stayed up extra late with our fun activities. I made three different batches of cookie dough, two pudding pies and two batches of muddy buddies (so good!) before being to tired to stand. The next morning we had a Christmas program at church that was very nice. After church I starting baking all of the cookies and we had a bunch of friends over to decorate them with us!

After the cookie fest ended, we went to my dad's house where I hosted a get-together for my high school dance team. We had a great time catching up with each other and eating some great snacks!


Monday I had one of the worst migraines ever, so I left work sick after less than an hour. I have never called in sick or left early sick like that, so it was unhappy, but nice to rest in a dark room for the day. Tuesday evening we had a family Christmas party at my dad's house where we had dinner, singing and a gift exchange. Everyone was able to make it except for Cherish (who lives in San Francisco) and it was so fun to have everyone together. My sister Amber did a great job planning everything and taking charge. I handled the name drawing for gifts, and all went well. On Wednesday Scottie and I just spent the day at work - not too bad.


Christmas Eve was wonderful! We started the day with my family to see The Blindside and have lunch at Tucano's. The movie was great - I definitely recommend it - and Tucano's was delicious as always. After lunch we took cookie jars to a few friends and stopped at my dad's house to open the family gift: a Playstation 3, Rockband and the Beatles version of Rockband. It is so awesome! After that we spent Christmas Eve on our own because it was our first chance to do so since we have been married. We pitched a tent in the living room by the tree and watched Harry Potter 6. We didn't last long into the movie and fell asleep around ten, then woke up at midnight wondering why we thought a tent on the floor would be comfortable enough for the night. Needless to say, we found our way to our real bed and put the tent away the next day. :)


Christmas morning we took our time getting ready after sleeping in, then we opened the gifts that we got for each other. I gave Scottie new socks (much needed!), some pj pants (that he returned later. lol.) and two new movies (Meet The Parents and Hot Rod). He gave me some new boots (that I LOVE!), a super cute apron (I have really been wanting one), a cheese slicer (I have REALLY been wanting one) and a copy of Eclipse (from the Twilight series). After putting on my new boots we went to my dad's house for a light breakfast and some gifts. All of my siblings happened to be there around the same time, so we got to see everyone together again! It was nice to relax and open gifts one family at a time. Scottie and I got some neat stuff from my parents. He got a new capo for his guitar and some stuff for his green smoothies. I got a bunch of baking items like a large pizza pan with holes for even cooking, nice baking sheets and a large cooling rack as well as some nice measuring cups and a silicon cupcake pan. I love everything! In the early afternoon we went to my mom's house to get ready for the big meal with all the cousins. My mom gave us our new pjs (I love my pink pants!) and we got some great BYU gear as well! It was fun to see all of my family that I had missed the night before and the dinner was delicious (as it always is when Alan is the chef!). After spending time with everyone we made our way back to my dad's to try out The Beatles Rock Band. So great! If you get a chance to play, don't pass! After rocking out we met up with our good friends Dave and Janice to play pool. It was nice to relax after a long day with lots of people and I was able to brush up on my billiard skills. :)

The day after Christmas may have been one of the most boring days of my life. We both got work off to drive to Boise that day, but had a change of plans and didn't leave until Sunday afternoon. We went shopping and made returns although the day after Christmas is historically the worst day to be within walking distance of any retail establishments (if you don't believe me, try working through the holidays somewhere retail...it is insane!)


After the most boring day ever came Sunday morning and we went to church where the primary sang during the first hour (Scott is the pianist, hence the change of plans). We stayed for the full three hours, Scott in the primary and me in the nursery where I love it! After church we stopped home to change and grab our bags, stopped at my dad's house to get warm boots and gloves for snow activities, then hit the highway to get to Boise! Scottie drove us the whole way which was relaxing for me. Upon arrival we hugged the parents (tradition of course!), ate some food, and had another Christmas! We had a great time opening gifts with everyone after listening to Dave and Mel's piano duet. Everybody probably says this, but I wish I hadn't quit piano lessons after watching them play! We got some wonderful gifts including Mrs. Doubtfire (thank you Julie and Landon!), a Boys Like Girls CD (Love Drunk - we love it. Thank you Janelle!) and I got the one of the newest Nicholas Sparks novel from Melanie. So great! I got some new clothes from the parents including my very own big girl pjs. You know the kind with matching top and bottoms, buttons up the front, with a collar and cuffs? I absolutely love them. Scottie also got some new clothes - his dad did a great job shopping for Scott and got everything just right which is something I still struggle with a bit.

Monday morning we packed up our snow gear for a few nights in Donnelly at a friend's cabin. Janelle and I went grocery shopping and added a few must-haves to our shopping list: Oreos (holiday oreos were not available) and bulk candy. Sugary goodness. We loaded up the cars and headed out of the city in the late afternoon. The cabin was great, and it was so kind of the Hunt's to let us come stay with them! We had a great time watching movies (they have a huge collection) and playing games in the evenings. We also went snowmobiling out on the lake (so beautiful) and tubing at this awesome hill (they have a tow rope to take you up the hill, so not much work involved just lots of fun!). We had a great time and headed back to Boise on Wednesday afternoon to spend more time eating and watching movies!


On New Year's Eve we all just did our own thing throughout the day, then Melanie went to the stake dance, Janelle went to the institute dance, and the old married couples (aka Scott and I, Julie & Landon, and Mom & Dad) stayed home watching movies. We didn't even realize it was midnight until we started receiving text messages wishing Happy New Year. Friday we all just spent time together relaxing after Julie and Landon flew home. Scott, Janelle and I made a trip to Kohl's before going to dinner with the family at Sakana Sushi - something I suggested as a joke to Melanie who only loves to eat cheeseburgers and fries. Instead everyone thought it was a good idea, so I was victorious! The food was delicious and we went home later to watch more movies. :)


Saturday morning Scottie and I packed everything up and headed on our way back home. I drove from Boise to Ogden, then Scottie took the wheel while I took a nap. He said that I was snoring like crazy, which makes sense because I had a cold and wicked bad allergies weighing me down. We arrived home in the early evening and spent the rest of the night watching movies I think. Surprised? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!