Sunday, February 1, 2009

Superbowl Sunday

Today was Superbowl Sunday, which would not have meant a thing to me before I married Scott. Surprisingly, I found myself somewhat interested in the game. Weird. We watched the game with a bunch of friends as is some sort of requirement for football, and we had tons of food which is also a requirement for the occasion. I volunteered to bring cookies and cupcakes as I knew I had the ingredients on hand to make these, saving myself a trip to the store. Click on the links below to see the recipes and enjoy the photos!

For cookies I made Chocolate Cutout Cookies and they were great! I used the appropriate shaped cookie cutters: a football, a helmet, and a trophy (once decorated the footballs were my favorite). Instead of completely frosting each cookie, I made a small amount of Powdered Sugar Frosting to outline the cookies with. I chose this recipe because it was very simple and I had all the ingredients on-hand. I read the reviews before trying the recipe, so I tweaked it just a bit. I only put in 1/8 teaspoon of salt, and I used milk instead of water. The recipe turned out perfectly.


For cupcakes I used a funfetti mix I had on the shelf. As the cupcakes were baking I realized I had no frosting, and no more powdered sugar. I looked through the things I had and saw some instant pudding mix. There had to be a way to make frosting with that, right? Right! The recipe I used was Mock Whipped Cream Frosting With Pudding Mix. The recipe is on the right-hand side - just scroll down. After figuring out the correct combo of food coloring to make brown frosting, I arranged and frosted the cupcakes to look like a football. I was very proud of myself.


All in all, the shindig went well. Everyone was rooting for the Cardinals, but I like the Steelers better. Don't ask me why because I have no reason. I was happy they won.

2 comments:

  1. Rachy-poo! I am the proudest friend in the entire world! Those cookies looked absolutely scrumptious! And those cupcakes? Simply supurb! Who knew you could make frosting out of pudding mix? Way to be resourceful! That's my rachel! p.s. I was also rooting for the Steelers...same wavelength!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOUR BAKING SKILLS ARE AMAZING! I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO TEACH ME AT OUR COOK-A-THONS! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback!