Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool's Day

Happy April Fool's Day! In all actuality, April Fool's is one of my least favorite holidays. Some traditions just aren't worth it. I don't like that it is a day dedicated to embarrassing the gullible. I recently learned the origins of this unofficial holiday and thought I would share. Here is a paragraph from www.wikipedia.org:

"The origin of April Fools' Day is obscure. One likely theory is that the modern holiday was first celebrated soon after the adoption of the Gregorian Calendar; the term referred to someone still adhering to the Julian Calendar, which it replaced. In many pre-Christian cultures May Day (May 1) was celebrated as the first day of summer, and signaled the start of the spring planting season. An April Fool was someone who did this prematurely. Another origin is that April 1 was counted the first day of the year in France. When King Charles IX changed that to January 1, some people stayed with April 1. Those who did were called "April Fools" and were taunted by their neighbors."

Another holiday tradition I dislike? Having to wear green on St. Patrick's Day for fear of being pinched. What kind of society do we live in? I did wear green (on my socks where no body could see), and warned all those who mentioned pinching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!